RE: [linux-lvm] EMC Storage + LVM + XFS

To get the system to recognize a new disk without reloading the driver,
echo "scsi-add-single-device $controller $host $target $lun" > /proc/scsi/scsi

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephan Austermuehle [mailto:au hcsd de]
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2001 11:09
To: linux-lvm sistina com
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] EMC Storage + LVM + XFS

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 09:47:34AM -0500, Austin Gonyou wrote:

> I don't think I'm clear on your statement. As far as I know, which is a
> lot about EMC, you can definitely plug disks online. Having Linux see
> them? Not necessarily so, but I believe the polling interval for the Fibre
> driver will take care of that.

Oh, of course the Symmetrix allows hot plugging of disks and online
mapping of hypers to one or more channels via a Bin upgrade or the
SDR. But at the moment I do not know any way to make Linux recognise
the additional disks without reloading (rebooting) the driver. But
even if there's a way to online detect new disks -- if a vgscan is
necessary to tell the Linux LVM about where its VGs have gone it isn't
a very smart solution because it often requires application down time.

Stephan