RE: [linux-lvm] snapshot questions

Kyle,

I have the opposite opinion as Jesus.  File system level backups are the
way to go.  Maybe not on Linux (because of the robustness of the
snapshot facility), but for sure using Veritas.  See, file system level
database backups are fast, scalable, and simple.  However, if you can
not count on the data consistency, then I would agree with Jesus.

My personal opinion (as a DBA), is that the simplest approach to backup
and recover is best.  If you cant do the restore at 3:00am with one eye
closed and make 0 mistakes, then it's not worth it (that why I dont use
Oracle RMAN).  I use snapshots (Veritas/Sun) for backups of my
production DB's.  It's really nice to not to ever worry about a backup
window, just backup whenever!

That said, I am _evaluating_ how good Linux/LVM backups are in this
regard.  So far, it's been fine.  Also, as always, make sure you are, or
have a good DBA around. 8-)

2.5 cents.

Kenny Gorman
DBA