[linux-lvm] snapshot questions

Kenny Gorman kenny at kenamea.com
Fri Nov 2 15:58:01 UTC 2001

I will try to quicky summarize what _I_ do:

- Yes snapshots work.
- No, it's not a 1 to 1 disk usage ratio between the vg and the snapshot
vol.  It's much less.  I dont know how to test for fullness using
Linux/LVM yet.
- I use Oracle, your DB may be different.
1) put the tablespaces in hot backup mode
2) take a snapshot (mount the snapshot vol) of the volume/s that the
tablespace is on
3) take the db out of hot backup mode.
- I also do some checkpointing, etc in my script.
- the tape drive can then get the backup from the snapshot.
- You would restore the image from tape, to a new or the orig. volume
when you recover.
- no noticable effect on end users, it's a 24/7 thing.  Restores work
fine.

It's really not all that scary. Sorry for not going into more technical
detail.

Kenny Gorman
DBA
Kenamea