[linux-lvm] snapshot questions

Kenny Gorman kenny at kenamea.com
Fri Nov 2 17:49:02 UTC 2001

I use cooked file systems for Oracle not RAW.  I am not sure MySQL has
an similar function to Oracle Hot Backup.  Basically, oracle suspends
writes to the datafiles for the tablespaces in Hot Backup by keeping the
whole blocks in the redo logs.  Since MySQL (to my knowledge) doesn't do
something like this, your datafiles will get corrupted when you
snapshot.   I am not sure the 'flush to disk' idea will work... unless
(and maybe your saying this and I am not getting it) MySQL will suspend
writes until your snapshot is done.  I suppose that would work...

In Oracle, the files that are part of the snapshot are not consistent
(corrupted).  Thats just how it works.  Then when you use Oracle to
recover, it puts together the coherent database image using the System
Change Number and the blocks in the redo logs (recovery structures) and
archive logs.  It's pretty advanced in this regard.

We use Veritas in production with Sun.  I am evaluating using Linux in
production.  I am using a SuSE Linux box in production for another
project, and it's stable. Plan to start using snapshots soon in both
environments if the evaluation works out.  Currently snapshots are in
use on testing/dev boxes.

-kg