[linux-lvm] parameter error

Donald Thompson dlt at dataventures.com
Sat Nov 17 05:31:01 UTC 2001

I'm getting the following error when I attempt to active a VG:

vgchange -- ERROR "parameter error" setting up snapshot copy on write
exception table for "/dev/IDE/temp_snap"

I'm using kernel 2.4.14, with lvm 1.0.1-rc4. Kernel has been patched using
the patch build with lvm 1.0.1-rc4. Its been so long since the VG was
built, I'm not sure what utils I originally made it with, but i'm
suspecting 0.9.1 beta 7.

I'm not exactly sure how I got myself into this mess, but I had just
finished removing another VG.

I've seen this come up a couple times on the mailing list in the past, but
but I haven't seen any positive fixes offered up. Could care less if the
snapshot thats causing the problems is lost. vgcfgrestore using a backup
config file didn't help me any.

Is there any way to get myself out of this without killing the VG?

-Don