Re: [linux-lvm] LAZY MODE: Exchanging a LVM'ed disk

On 20 Nov 2001, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> I currently have a disk in my LVM set which is only 1Gb. It's also quite
> old, so I'd like to replace that with a newer/bigger one..
>
> How would I go about doing this?

http://tech.sistina.com/lvm/doc/lvm_howto/Removing_an_old_disk.html

  1. Backup the existing filesystem(s)
  2. Verify the backup
  3. Create a PV on the new disk (pvcreate)
  4. Add the new PV to the existing VG (vgextend)
  5. Move the data from the old PV to the new PV (pvmove)
  6. Remove the old PV from the VG (vgreduce)
  7. Extend the LV to use the entire new PV (lvextend)
  8. Resize the filesystem to use the entire LV

> Bare in mind that all the SCSI id's will change when i remove the old
> disk, will that complicate issues?

  It will (it always does), but "vgscan" should handle most of it.

--
Ben Scott <bscott ntisys com>