[linux-lvm] Chicken and egg problem..

Georges Giralt georges.giralt at free.fr
Wed Nov 21 08:48:02 UTC 2001

En réponse à Steven Lembark <lembark at wrkhors.com>:

> -- Georges Giralt <georges.giralt at free.fr>
>
> > Hello !
> > As I've previously said, I plan to make my RedHat 7.1 (kernel 2.4.5)
> > pure LVM  machine.
> > To do so, I've build the 1.0.4 version of LVM into the kernel (with
> the
> > NCR SCSI  driver). As to avoid an initrd. Simple is beautifull...
> >
> > In the sysinit rc script, Redhat has put a vg activation command,
> but....
> > My kernel panics, as it is unable to mount root, as the LVM
> activation
> > commands  are after the root fsck (and mount..)
> >
> > If I put the LVM activation lines early, in the sysinit script,
> these
> > commands  complains beeing not able to access /etc/lvmtab....
>
> The kernel panic is extactly why you probably wouldn't
> want to use only LVM on the system. Leaving the root
> volume (a.k.a., '/'), primary swap and probably /var on
> the first three partitions of the boot device will make
> your life enormously simpler in the long run.
Yes and no....
I use HP boxes, on which LVM is native.
My computer has been upgraded from RH4.1 to 7.1 with all the steps in beetween.
This is why I would use LVM on my boot disk.
Tired re creating a new / or /var and moving data from one file system to the
next.
And I always have bootable floppy/CD floating around...
My question was in fact to learn how to make the LVM information static on the
/etc directory. (if this information is not valid, the system will not boot
anyway, so it doesn't hurt) Of course, I must rebuild these files if I change
the volume group holding the / filesystem.... Something which is easyly done on
an HP machine...