Re: [linux-lvm] Chicken and egg problem..

-- "Brian J. Murrell" <724b581f59b221086926026402b50126 interlinx bc ca>

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 02:30:25AM -0600, Steven Lembark wrote:

The kernel panic is extactly why you probably wouldn't want to use only LVM on the system.

I do it. Only my boot partition is a regular ol' partition. I won't say I haven't had problems that I had to recover from in the past with an LVM root, but luckily enough my distro vendor's LVM support is decent and their BOOT kernel/media has an LVM module built for it.

Luck has a rather nasty way of running out just when you need the system. I've spent way too much time helping extricate people from LVM problems to run my root file system on it. The "all LVM" systems from HP and Sun depend on a non-braindead boot ROM and the ability to fake out the file system with sequentail LV's that look to the boot loader like partitions. On HP's this lets you boot -lm, fix things and reboot. Lacking this option on Intel systems, I'd make a point of leaving the main boot area on a native hardware format.

Leaving the root
volume (a.k.a., '/'), primary swap and probably /var on
the first three partitions of the boot device will make
your life enormously simpler in the long run.

I completely disagree. Eventually you will get to a point where an upgrade of your system will require more space in / or /usr and even just normal usage will want more space in /var. Being able to expand these easily with LVM is awesome!

Who said anything about not having /usr on LVM? If the root (basically /etc, /lib and a wholelotta mount points) is a partition and your primary swap is also then you can boot just as easily without LVM as with it. I've been running with / on a 128MB partition for years and never pushed it past 50%. Same for /var: adding a few choice mount points can reduce the need for expanding the main storage enormously. If /var/log, for example, is on a partition it makes life easier trying to diagnose any problems.

Just use a good boot disk.  You are even luckier if your distro
vendor's stock kernel and/or media support LVM.

Even luckier than that if they're patched to exactly the same level you are and can read your LVM system. This only has to blow up once before you get to spend a weekend [or worse] fixing the problem.

                                           +1 800 762 1582