Re: [linux-lvm] resize reiserfs

Why not just use the resize_reiserfs program from the reiserfsprogs package available from ftp://ftp.namesys.com/pub/reiserfsprogs/reiserfsprogs-3.x.0j.tar.gz ?

Snip from manpage:

NAME resize_reiserfs - Reiserfs filesystem resizer

SYNOPSIS
      resize_reiserfs [ -s [+|-]size[K|M|G] ] [ -fqv ] device

DESCRIPTION
The resize_reiserfs tool resizes an unmounted reiserfs file system. It enlarges or shrinks an reiserfs file system located on a device so that it will have size bytes or size=old_size +(-) size
bytes if the + or - prefix is used. If the -s option is not specified, the filesystem will be resized to fill the given device. The size parameter may have one of the optional modifiers K, M,
G, which means the size parameter is given in kilo-, mega-, gigabytes respectively.

The resize_reiserfs program does not manipulate the size of the device. If you wish to enlarge a filesystem, you must make sure you expand the underlying device first. This can be done using
cfdisk(8) for partitions, by deleting the partition and recreating it with a larger size (assuming there is free space after the partition in question). Make sure you re-create it with the same
starting disk cylinder as before! Otherwise, the resize operation will certainly not work, and you may lose your entire filesystem.

The resize_reiserfs program allows to grow a reiserfs on-line if there is a free space on block device.

If you wish to shrink an reiserfs partition, first use resize_reiserfs to shrink the file system. You may then use cfdisk(8) to shrink the device. When shrinking the size of the device, make
sure you do not make it smaller than the reduced size of the reiserfs filesystem.

Ulrich Wiederhold wrote:

Hi,
I need to resize my lv /dev/store/data now.

I already added the 2nd HD (/dev/hdc1) to the vg store using vgextend
and extended the lv using lvextend.

Now I need to extend the reiserfs I got on this lv. I seached the web
and found the resize_reiserfs perl-script, but if I try it, I only get
this msg:
$#: ./resize_reiserfs --size +50G --lv /dev/store/data --dry-run

only 0 free PE's (0 K) left on VG store

Sure, I already added the PE´s to the lv.
What to do?

Uli