[linux-lvm] ext2 label support for LVM in mount and e2fsck

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling at birddog.com
Fri Nov 23 23:59:01 UTC 2001

LVM list,

	I just got RH 7.2.  I downloaded all the stuff to make LVM work correctly
on it.  I was unpleasently surprised to find that ext2 filesystem labels
don't work correctly.  That is, you can say this in the fstab:

LABEL=/usr
/usr
ext2
defaults
1
1

	If the label is on any partition listed in /proc/partitions, however it
doesn't work if the label is on a logical volume.

	Well I had the source, and I had a problem.  Here is a link to the
patches to mount and e2fsck to make them go.  I have sent them into the
respective maintainers, the mount maintainer happily took one, I haven't
heard from the e2fsck maintainer yet.  So hopefully they should be in a
future version.  Thought possibly somebody else out there might
appreciate them.

	Disclaimer:  these were only tested on one machine with one LVM setup.
If you screw up your mount or fsck utilities you will need a boot/rescue
disk handy.  Patched againsted RH 7.2 source, but should work fine
against stock source.

		Kirby
--
Real Programmers view electronic multimedia files with a hex editor.