Re: [linux-lvm] LDM and devfs with LVM

-- Mark Anders <mark_a_anders yahoo com>

I am trying to make LVM work with both LDM and devfs. Is this supported? I have two disks which were configured as dynamic disks in windows. Linux is able to see and access all the dynamic disk partitions (through /dev/discs/disc0/part? and /proc/partitions but not through fdisk). Does LVM need to access the partition table or can it operate using only /proc/partitions and the device files?

Works fine for me. If you have devfs set up to keep the stats on links then it'll just make its own copy of the /dev/vgXX files. Alternative is to move the volume groups out of /dev. Problem there is that the --preifx switch doesn't work entirely -- there are a were code changes you have to make in order to move vg's out of /dev/ the last time I tried it.

Only real thing to make a point of is mounting /dev before
the LVM volumes (not hard since one is normally done before
mouting the root volume the other after).

                                           +1 800 762 1582