[linux-lvm] Is lvmcreate_initrd expected to work?

Now that we've solved the pressing oh-my-goodness-my-system-won't-boot problem, I've got a few other questions.

The lvm package comes with the nifty lvmcreate_initrd command...but in my experience it simply doesn't work. While it's especially clever about resolving library dependencies, it seems to ignore the issue of kernel modules.

For instance, I'm running a "reasonably" stock RedHat/SGI 7.2 installation, which means that both SCSI support and the RAID5 module are built as drivers. This means that my initrd needs, minimally:

 - scsi_mod
 - sd_mod
 - xor
 - raid5
 - lvm-mod

And unfortunately, lvmcreate_initrd doesn't pick up on any of this.

I ended up custom building an initrd around busybox, which provides a flexible pre-boot environment, including access to a shell prompt from within the initrd (which proved extremely useful recently). But obviously, not everybody is going to have the time or experience to do this.

I realize that the root-on-LVM design is fairly bleeding-edge, as these things go, but it is in the FAQ. I suppose the best solution would be for distribution vendors such as RedHat to include LVM support in their own dist-specific 'mkinitrd' type script.

While it would probably be easier to build a custom kernel with all the necessary drivers built in, I'll probably stick with this solution now since I'm fond of my initrd. What are other folks doing?

-- Lars