[linux-lvm] Removing inactive PV from display

The final part of my dilemma thus far is each time I run pvscan, I get a
massive number of read_intr errors on two drives.  I have removed them
from their respective LVs and VGs, but they still display in vgscan (so
they are active, in a sense).  I want to remove them from the vgscan
display but there doesn't seem to be a pvremove command anywhere.
What's the command to get rid of these things from displaying in pvscan
(exact opposite command to pvcreate /dev/hd*).

TiA

-JL