[linux-lvm] pvcreate fails on a software RAID metadisk

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Fri Oct 5 08:30:53 UTC 2001

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 02:46:43PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Oct 04, 2001  11:59 -0800, Bill Ellis wrote:
> > <55555> lvm_check_partitioned_dev -- LEAVING with ret: TRUE
>
> This is a problem - MD devices are not partitioned.  Have a look at
> this function to see why it thinks so.

no this should be normal
i believe the problem lies somewhere else in the damned cache
i tested it on one of my systems, i have 4 disks and 4 md devices there
md/0 is not detected
md/1 to md/3 are
and lvmdiskscan says i have 5 disks and 3 md devices.

look in http://www.comedia.it/bluca/lvm/
you will find lvmdiskscan output for
md0 (not working)
md1 (working)
and a diff file between the two that may help debugging
basically pv_read is called for md/1 and not for md/0

(i was using current cvs)

i will look further into this problem since i have to build a new lvm over md
but if someone else looks in it the better.

L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
 /"\