Re: [linux-lvm] LVM metsdata

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 01:42:54PM -0700, Lee Go-Tze wrote:
> I have a novice question.  How does the LVM
> protect its metadata.  I mean does it do some
> sort of metadata check when machine comes up
> (notices the system did not shutdown properly)?
> Or maybe it uses journaling? I imagine the
> updates to lv/vg/pv structures have to be
> transactional.

Transactional updates will go into LVM after mid November.  Checksums
for the metadata will also go in at this point.  ATM problems are
spotted by consistency checks (the is a lot of duplication between the
pv's).  If a problem is spotted the administrator can restore from the
automatic metadata backups.

- Joe