[linux-lvm] read_intr errors

Erick Calder e at arix.com
Fri Oct 26 16:16:02 UTC 2001

> What it's warning you about is reducing the size of the LV without first
changing
> the size of the filesystem that is using it.

aha... maybe I could encourage the man page's maintainer to make that point
a little clearer?

> If you are using an ext2 filesystem then you can use the e2fsadm command:
>
> # e2fsadm -l -1 /dev/LVM/mp3z

I performed the above command expecting I would have to do an lvreduce later
but it <gasp> did it for me...  I haven't done a compare against backups to
make sure I didn't lose data ok but I still have the problem... here's the
output (but read beyond):

> # e2fsadm -l -1 /dev/LVM/mp3z
> e2fsck 1.18, 11-Nov-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
> Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
> Pass 2: Checking directory structure
> Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
> Pass 4: Checking reference counts
> Pass 5: Checking group summary information
> /dev/LVM/mp3z: 3041/3751936 files (2.0% non-contiguous), 3450293/7502848
blocks
> resize2fs 1.18 (11-Nov-1999)
> Begin pass 3 (max = 229)
> Scanning inode table          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
> The filesystem on /dev/LVM/mp3z is now 7501824 blocks long.
>
> lvreduce -- WARNING: reducing active logical volume to 28.62 GB
> lvreduce -- THIS MAY DESTROY YOUR DATA (filesystem etc.)
> lvreduce -- doing automatic backup of volume group "LVM"
> lvreduce -- logical volume "/dev/LVM/mp3z" successfully reduced
>
> e2fsadm -- ext2fs in logical volume /dev/LVM/mp3z successfully reduced to
28.62 GB

now, in playing with this I've found that I get these error messages most
consistently while shutting down.  and analysis of /etc/init.d/halt shows
that the errors are produced by an effort to remount / in readonly mode...
the code reads like this:

> #echo "Remounting remaining filesystems (if any) readonly"
> mount | awk '/ext2/ { print $3 }' | while read line; do
>     mount -n -o ro,remount $line
> done

by the time this code is run I've already un-mounted /var/LVM/mp3z and done
a "vgchange -a n"... so in retrospect I can say that the only thing that has
changed (I wasn't having these errors before installing LVM) is that I did a
"pvcreate /dev/hdc"...

is the info above of any use and is there anything else I can try?

1k thx - e