Re: [linux-lvm] Segmentation Fault with vgextend and LVM 1.0.1rc4

Nils Juergens wrote:

On Mon, 29.10.01, Jean-Noel GADREAU <cathjn gadreau net> wrote:

[snip]

vgextend -- extending volume group "vg01" by physical volume "/dev/hde1" in kernel
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I am using RedHat 7.1 with a custom kernel to have LVM (2.4.9-6). I have 2 drives on this IDE controller (a Promise UltraDMA100DX2) and both work fine with linux. My secondary drive (/dev/hdf is already part of vg01).

[snip]

The stock linux kernel comes with an old version of lvm. Please grab
the latest version and make sure to patch your kernel (see
PATCHES/README in the lvm distribution). You should also upgrade your
userspace tools (lvcreate, vgextend and the like).

On a further note, check which compiler you are using. gcc-2.96 should
be used without optimization (-O0) and make sure you do not use
gcc-3.0.x (it produces broken code on some occasions, this happened to
me with the lvm tools).

good luck,

Nils

Thanks for your quick reply. I rebuilt the kernel but it did not work. However, recompiling without -O2 did it for me.

What I did (for those who might run into the same problem):

#cd LVM/1.0.1rc4
#./configure
>>> here, edit make.tmpl to change CFLAGS=.... -O2 .... to CFLAGS=... -O0 ... <<<
#make
#make install

Thanks again for your time and quick answer.
Regards,
Jean-Noel