Re: [linux-lvm] Segmentation Fault with vgextend and LVM 1.0.1rc4

Nils Juergens wrote:

On Mon, 29.10.01, Jean-Noel GADREAU <cathjn gadreau net> wrote:

vgextend -- extending volume group "vg01" by physical volume "/dev/hde1" in kernel
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I am using RedHat 7.1 with a custom kernel to have LVM (2.4.9-6). I have 2 drives on this IDE controller (a Promise UltraDMA100DX2) and both work fine with linux. My secondary drive (/dev/hdf is already part of vg01).

The stock linux kernel comes with an old version of lvm. Please grab
the latest version and make sure to patch your kernel (see
PATCHES/README in the lvm distribution). You should also upgrade your
userspace tools (lvcreate, vgextend and the like).

On a further note, check which compiler you are using. gcc-2.96 should
be used without optimization (-O0) and make sure you do not use
gcc-3.0.x (it produces broken code on some occasions, this happened to
me with the lvm tools).

good luck,

Thanks for your quick reply. I rebuilt the kernel but it did not work. However, recompiling without -O2 did it for me.

What I did (for those who might run into the same problem):

#cd LVM/1.0.1rc4
>>> here, edit make.tmpl to change CFLAGS=.... -O2 .... to CFLAGS=... -O0 ... <<<
#make install

Thanks again for your time and quick answer.