[linux-lvm] SoftRaid and LVM

Thorsten Sauter sar at viastore.de
Tue Sep 4 13:42:55 UTC 2001

Hello LVM-Gurus,

I would like to create a volume group based on an sofraid device
(/dev/md0). I know, there are many emails about this topic, but I think no
one has the solution for this. I have found some code-patches for older
versions of the lvm for fix this problem. But, what is the current state
in the new lvm-1.0.1-rc2 version.

The following things I have made before:
$ mkraid --realy-force /dev/md0
$ mkreiserfs /dev/md0
$ mount /dev/md0 /mnt
-> so I think, the raid device is ok

$ pvcreate /dev/md0
> pvcreate -- device "/dev/md0" has a partition table

$ fdisk -l /dev/md0
> Disk /dev/md0: 2 heads, 4 sectors, 2441880 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 8 * 512 bytes
>
>     Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
$ uname -a
> Linux lxclust1 2.4.9 #6 Mon Jan 3 19:52:54 CET 2000 i686 unknown
$ dmesg | grep -i lvm
> LVM version 0.9.1_beta2  by Heinz Mauelshagen  (18/01/2001)
> lvm -- Driver successfully initialized

LVM-Version: 1.0.1-rc2      -> why is this an other version as reported
by kernel?

Does anyone know, how can I initialize the /dev/md0 device for te the lvm?

Thanks for your help,

Thorsten Sauter
viastore systems GmbH

--