Re: [linux-lvm] SoftRaid and LVM

Hi,

sorry for these short description :-)!

Currently I'm using kernel 2.4.9 with the raidtools-0.90.
The md0 device is a simple RAID1-Mirroring between hda1 and hda2.

If I create a simple vg over these two disks and one disk goes bad, all of
my datas are lost, isn't it? So I think it would be a nice idee to create
a simple, minimum safety, mirror array and active the lvm over this array.
>From now on, I have the flexibilty from the lvm and the safety from the
raid!?

I've found some patches for older lvm version in the internet (google,
...) and a patch on this list from october last year. But all these
patches (?) are for very old lvm versions (0.8x) so I tink they don't work
on newer lvm-versions.

The problem, as described below, is that I can't create a volume group on
a md-device.

Are these infos enought? I hope so.

Between my to mails I've created a new "blank" md-device (no old datas, no
old fdisk probs). But the problem is the same.
The lvm-howto and the raid-howtos doens't provide any informations for
interacting raid with lvm. :-(

Thanks for your help!

Thorsten Sauter
viastore systems GmbH