Re: what i need is a little attention-RE [linux-lvm] SoftRaid and LVM Jean-Eric Cuendet

Hi
some month's ago i had a running LVM over sofware RAID-0 setup
i have currently also a normal VG ( PV's are normal partitions) wich has no troubles with ext2 nad reiserfs
but the new VG (containing striped LV's) which is
/dev/hdh10
/dev/md6 linear software RAID
/dev/md7 linear software RAID

i can not format with ext2 or reiserfs , when i try mke2fs mkreiserfs they segfaults
because of the troubles with ext2 and reiserfs i think that i can not be sure that everything with the LV's works
but probably i'll try cpio-ing my installation over it and give it a try

i'm running ABIT's BP6 2xCelleron533 512Mb RAM 2xWD 30Gb 1xMaxtor 40Gb
raidtools-0.90 lvm-1.0.1rc2 e2fsprogs1.23 1.24 1.24a reiserfs-progs-3.x.0j

and one more question about the min-max
i don't speak "C" can you tell me how to do it with pre linux-2.4.9patches
wich i wont to aply to linux-2.4.10pre2 and they are giving me problems with min-max definition

Jean-Eric Cuendet wrote:

Hi,
I'll give you my setup.
I have a 5 36Gb SCSI disks machine which do MD+LVM+ext2 on them
Each disk is splitted in 4 (~9Gb each partition) and then grouped 5 by 5
to form 4 MD (md5, md6, md7, md8) each ~36Gb in RAID5.
Then these 4 MDs are added in a VG and LVs are created for each need
(CVS, HOMES, FILES, ...). The machine is a PIII 733 with 256Mb RAM and has RH7.1 installed
I use MD 0.90.0, LVM 1.0.1rc1 and e2fsprogs 1.23. I have NO reiserfs nor
XFS nor JFS.

All that works fine for me with little problems since upgrade to
LVM-0.9.1-beta7

Each partition on the physical disk is marked as fd (Linux RAID
autodectect) then pvcreate is made on /dev/md[5678] . There is no need
to put either "Linux Native (83)" nor "Linux LVM (8e)" on the /dev/md1
or something like that. Just the fd on physical partitions will do the
trick.

Hope this helps.
-jec