[linux-lvm] Root on LV

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Thu Sep 6 17:52:51 UTC 2001

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 06:35:39PM +0200, svetljo wrote:
> Andreas Dilger wrote:
> >Yes, you are wrong.  LILO+patch can get a kernel from a logical volume.
> does this mean that i can have my kernel on LV of any type ( can i have
> it on striped one)
> i think i have read some time ago that lilo can boot from linear RAID or
> RAID1 but not from RAID-0
NO!!!!
lilo uses your pc bios to boot, it cannot do anything fancy,
it just reads from a disk into memory then jumps there.

in order to boot kernel lilo needs to store a mapfile on
the /boot fs, the disk offset of this file is stored in
lilo 1-st stage loader a 512 byte program, and you cannot read
a striped lv from a 512 byte proggie yet.

L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
 /"\