[linux-lvm] LVM

Jason Edgecombe jedgecombe at carolina.rr.com
Thu Sep 13 01:01:40 UTC 2001

hi,

  according to reiserfs's FAQ:
http://www.reiserfs.org/faq.html#ReiserFS-as-root

you need the notail option on the /boot partition.
the fstab might look as follows:
/dev/hda1    /boot   reiserfs    defaults,notail  0 0
/dev/hda2    /   reiserfs    defaults  0 0

if there isn't the word "notail" in the fourth column of your root fstab
entry, then you ARE booting with tails.

according the lilo changelog:
ftp://brun.dyndns.org/pub/linux/lilo/CHANGES

lilo has been able to boot from a reiserfs partition with tail support
since version 21.6 (Oct. 1, 2000)

*under an rpm-based distro such as redhat or mandrake, "rpm -qi lilo"
should give you the version. (assuming you haven't downloaded lilo as a
tarball and compiled it.)

Both were last modified in August 2001, I don't know which to believe.
For safety sake, I made my /boot ext2. Most recent computers (within the
past two years) can boot from a partition after the 1024 boundary. I
just like to make a separate /boot at the beginning of the drive as a
precaution.

as for the matter of initrd's, this is the way that I understand it:
in a non-lvm root fs, your root fs type must either be compiled in or in
the initrd image.
in a lvm root, you MUST have an initrd even if lvm is compiled into the
kernel (not as a module) because you need to run a vgchange -ay and you
need your lvm config files in the initrd.

as for having /boot (booting the kernel) straight in an lvm fs, I have
no idea.

If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Sincerely,
Jason Edgecombe