Re: [linux-lvm] Re: [linux-lvm] Re: [linux-lvm] Verständnis von Stripes bei LVM

well you could do it with soft RAID-5 too i think
you save some money from the hardware RAID ,
you lose a bit performance -- soft RAID overhead
the hard RAID has RAM and CPU( or smth of the kind ) -- no CPU or mem overhead
but if you have a mothern CPU and a bit more RAM there is no problem
redundancy - the same

Goetz Bock wrote:

[ ... ] There are several problems with stipes:

- if you have problems with ANY disk, you have lost ALL of your data

If any disk of my VG dies I'm in trouble. With the help of the LVM guis
I might be able to "fake" the broken disk BUT for most people a broken
disk means loos of all data in the WHOLE VG.

... that's why I use LVM over RAID5 (hardware).