[linux-lvm] volume group not found????

It seems I have a similar problem to poor Alexander Bruns.
This whole this is giving me big head heack.

Luckily I only have /usr and /var as logical volumes. So I am still able to boot.

I created logical volume partitions /dev/sda4 /dev/sdb5
Then created stripped lvm's lv_usr and lv_var

Reboot several times and everything worked well.

I see /dev/system/lv_usr, /dev/system/lv_var, /etc/lvmconf/sytem.conf

However vgchange fails
vgchange -a y
vgchange -- no volume groups found

/proc/lvm/VGs/