[linux-lvm] Known Issues with FreeBSD Slices on Disks?

Eike Bernhardt eike at unorganized.net
Fri Apr 5 11:29:02 UTC 2002

Hello!

Are there any known Problems when you want to use a Partition from a
Disk also containg a FreeBSD Slice as a PV?

The disk has four Partitions at the Moment:
$ fdisk -l /dev/hda

Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 7297 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1       765   6144831    b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/hda2           766      2040  10241437+  a5  FreeBSD
/dev/hda3          2041      3315  10241437+   c  Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda4          3316      7297  31985415   8e  Linux LVM

/dev/hda2 is a FreeBSD Partition/Slice and is detected by the Kernel
(which has Support for BSD-Disklabels) as:
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
 hda2: <bsd: hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 >

System is Debian Unstable with:
ii  lvm10          1.1rc1-1       The Logical Volume Manager for Linux
and Kernel 2.4.19-pre5.

When I add this Partiton to a existing VG and then try to lvcreate
another LV from the added Space, I get a

lvcreate -- ERROR "Operation not permitted" opening logical volume
"/dev/pile/test"

(Attached is a Logfile which shows this in Context, and more Info)

Since this worked without Problems on the other Disks in this System,
and the only difference I can see is the FreeBSD Slice on hda -- might
this be a Problem?

I already tried repartitioning in case there was something wrong -- hda3
and hda4 were a single partition before.

I'm relativly new to LVM, so I don't really know if I'm doing something
wrong here.

TIA, Eike
--
Eike Bernhardt              http://unorganized.net/                ICQ: 11256658
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."     -- William Wallace, Braveheart