[linux-lvm] Red Hat upgrade over existing LVM

Dirk Heinrichs heinrichs at qis-systemhaus.de
Mon Apr 8 02:07:01 UTC 2002

On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Nick Urbanik wrote:

> Dear team,
>
> We have a number of servers with /usr and /var on LVM.  The difficulty
> arises when upgrading from one version of Red Hat to another; the
> installation disks do not recognise the logical volumes.
>
> Do any of you have any reasonable approach to solving this?  Do I need
> to create a new network installation boot disk with a small kernel with
> support for LVM and scripts to turn on LVM groups?
Why do all people think they need to reboot the maschine to upgrade
software? This is not NT :-)

Switch to runlevel 1 (may be optional), mount the CD and use rpm -F (or
-U).

Bye...

	Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs          | Tel:  +49 (0)241 413 260
Configuration Manager   | Fax:  +49 (0)241 413 2640
QIS Systemhaus GmbH     | Mail: dheinrichs at qis-systemhaus.de
Juelicher Str. 338      | Web:  http://www.qis-systemhaus.de
D-52070 Aachen          | ICQ#: 110037733