[linux-lvm] RE: ext3 on an logical volume - snapshot using how?

Rechenberg, Andrew ARechenberg at shermanfinancialgroup.com
Mon Apr 8 09:21:02 UTC 2002

I believe you need the VFS-lock patch applied to your kernel to be able to do snapshots on a journaling filesystem (LVM/ext3 gurus correct me if I am incorrect).  Patches for various kernels are in PATCHES directory in the LVM source.  Read the README file in the PATCHES directory for more info.

I have applied this patch to clean 2.4.18 source, compiled and running on RedHat 7.2 (which doesn't include LVM in the distro), and have successfully created snapshots of logical volumes.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Andy.

Andrew Rechenberg