[linux-lvm] multiple volumes..

I have a problem which I want to solve as efficiently as possible.

The problem is that I have 13 drives os various sizes (30-120GB) which
I want to combine into one (or a few) logical volumes with redundancy
if one drive would fail.

How would the smartest layout be? I was thinking about multiple
partiontions and then combine them into several RAID 5 chains, and
then use LVM to manage the logical volumes.

There is an expamle of my ideas at http://www.tnonline.net/raid-lvm.png
As you can see there are 8 chains and about 50 GB unallocated data in
this example. Can I minimize the loss even better?

Any help or insight in this would be greatly appreciaded

//Anders