[linux-lvm] kernel panic - converting root fs to lvm

Jorge Melhado jrgmelhado at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 9 07:51:03 UTC 2002

I´ve remove LABEL= from /etc/fstab and reboot my system.
Now it doesn´t startup. During startup process, when it checks root
filesystem, occurs:

Checking root filesystem
fsck.ext3/:
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem
(and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and
you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
: Is a directory while trying to open /

[FAILED]
*** An error ocurred during the file system check
*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup)

Then, if I enter with root passwor I can´t change /etc/fstab because it´s in
readonly mode. So, I reboot again and the problem persists.
I´v tried to execute   "e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sda" , but it shows me the same
message.

Jorge