[linux-lvm] How to best use LVM?

pll+lvm at lanminds.com pll+lvm at lanminds.com
Wed Aug 14 12:00:02 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I'm new to both this list and to LVM in general.  As such, I have
some questions I'm hoping someone can help me answer.

I understand the benefits of LVM, but have never used LVM in any
incarnation, on Linux or any other version of UNIX.  I am, however,
pretty well versed in RAID.  So, I'm wondering how LVM can also
provide the varied benefits of RAID.

	- Can I use it to extend a RAID 5 set,
	  or concatenate 2 RAID 5 sets together?

	- Can I use LVM to combine different types of RAID, such as 1
	  and 0?

	- Can I easily "grow" a RAID set using LVM?

The other question I had more directly relates to the Linux
implementation for LVM:

	- Which version do I use?

I'm currently using Debian/Sid w/ a non-modular, custom 2.4.18 kernel.
apt-cache shows 2 versions; lvm10 and lvm2.

Is lvm10 the 1.x series and lvm2 the 2.x? Or does lvm10 come after lvm2?

If the former, is 2.x stable enough to use, and is it better to
compile lvm from source or use the pre-compiled debian packages?

I've tried both the lvm10 and lvm2 packages, but continually recieve
errors when I do things like run lvdisplay (it complains about not
being able to flush the device several times), and also something
about not being able to open the device-mapper.

I'm very much looking forward to using LVM, and hope someone here can
help me get started.  Thanks!
--

Seeya,
Paul