[linux-lvm] How to best use LVM?

Andres Salomon dilinger at mp3revolution.net
Wed Aug 14 14:39:02 UTC 2002

The debian packages are pretty out of date (since 2.4.19 took _forever_),
I'll be uploading new ones tonight.

/proc/misc should definitely not be empty; is the device mapper driver
loaded in the kernel?  (lsmod |grep dm, if it's compiled as a module).

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 02:47:28PM -0400, pll+lvm at lanminds.com wrote:

> In a message dated: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 18:45:47 BST
> Joe Thornber said:
>
> >device-mapper is the kernel driver used by LVM2, there should be a
> >debian package for this too.
>
> I've tried that, and even installing the device-mapper from sources.
>
> For some reason the devmap_mknod.sh script is unable to create the
> /dev/device_mapper/control file.  It appears that the problem is an
> inability to find the minor number from /proc/misc, which happens to
> be empty.
>
> Did I forget to configure something in my kernel which should be
> appearing in my /proc/misc file?
>
> Thanks,
> --
>
> Seeya,
> Paul
> --
> 	It may look like I'm just sitting here doing nothing,
>    but I'm really actively waiting for all my problems to go away.
>
> 	 If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

Broad surveillance is a mark of bad security.
	-- Bruce Schneier