[linux-lvm] /proc/partition problem

kaoru at bsd.tnes.nec.co.jp kaoru at bsd.tnes.nec.co.jp
Wed Aug 14 18:50:02 UTC 2002

Hi,

I reffered to /proc/partitions, a strange character code went
into a name sequence when I created 26 or more volume of LV(s)
on 2.4.19 with LVM-1.0.5.

$ cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

  58     0    3145728 lvma
  58     1    3145728 lvmb
  58     2     512000 lvmc
  58     3     204800 lvmd
  58    24      53248 lvmy
  58    25      53248 lvmz
  58    26      53248 lvm{
  58    27      53248 lvm|
  58    28      53248 lvm}
  58    29      53248 lvm~
  58    30      53248 lvm
  58    31      53248 lvm
  58    32      53248 lvm
  58    33      53248 lvm
  58    34      53248 lvm

I think that this problem is depended on illegal codes of
a disk_name function(fs/partitions/check.c).

According to fs/partitions/check.c:

char *disk_name (struct gendisk *hd, int minor, char *buf)
{

        if (part)
                sprintf(buf, "%s%c%d", maj, unit+'a', part);
        else
                sprintf(buf, "%s%c", maj, unit+'a');
        return buf;

}

I think it is better that the LVM staff discuss the fault of
this code with Linux Kernel code maintainer.

--------
Kaoru