[linux-lvm] Error - "device-mapper: request is larger than block size b_size"

Joe Thornber joe at fib011235813.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Aug 20 16:36:02 UTC 2002

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 09:36:02AM -0700, ERG at e-r-solutions.com wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm running two XFS 1.1 filesystems on top of a pair of LVM 2 volumes.  My
> version info is:
>
> tapemaster:/# uname -r && lvm version
> 2.4.19-xfs
>   LVM version:     1.95.10 (2002-05-31)
>   Library version: 0.96.03-ioctl (2002-06-27)
>   Driver version:  1.0.3
>
> What I'm seeing is thousands of lines of this:
>
> device-mapper: request is larger than block size b_size (2048), block size
> (512)

Sorry about this, it's an overly verbose sanity check that I put in
when we were having problems with xfs writing misaligned blocks.  I've
knocked it out of the latest bitkeeper repository:

bk://device-mapper.bkbits.net/2.4-stable

cvs will get updated at some point.

Alternatively just knock out this if statement from dm.c:

        /*
         * Sanity checks.
         */
        if (bh->b_size > block_size)
                DMERR("request is larger than block size "
                      "b_size (%d), block size (%d)",
                      bh->b_size, block_size);

If you are using xfs please be aware that you will need to use the new
journal log format to avoid misalignment problems (search this list
for previous posts).

- Joe