[linux-lvm] what's different between LVM 2 and LVM 1

Pierrick PONS ppons at cvf.fr
Fri Aug 30 04:25:02 UTC 2002

> On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 02:50:03PM +0800, lilha at legend.com.cn wrote:
> > I am puzzled what's different between LVM 2 and LVM 1
> > and I can't find any doc or introduction about the LVM2.
> >
> > who is kind to tell me what is LVM2,
> > and why i should use LVM2 replace of lvm1?
>
> LVM2 is the next version of LVM that has a couple of goals:
>
> i) A simpler more extensible kernel driver.  This driver, called
> device-mapper, is already in the -ac series of 2.4 kernels.  Hopefully
> device-mapper will replace the LVM1 driver completely in 2.[56].
>
> ii) Ability to more easily support the new features we want to put in.
> ATM we're concentrating on reproducing the functionality of LVM1,
> though a couple of new features (eg. writeable/fast snapshots) have
> crept in.

just a stupid question :
Why does LVM2 was not a version of lvm so that we just had to upgrade LVM ?

If LVM2 is just an upgrade of LVM1, why couldn't you continue with lvm-xxxxx ?

It should have been less confusing and easier to upgrade.

Sorry if it is abolutely stupid.

I'm using LVM1 and it works fine for me on a debian potato with a 2.4.18
kernel with hardware RAID5 . Thank you for your work.

Pierrick