[linux-lvm] I'm confused

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Sun Dec 8 05:25:01 UTC 2002

>>VG Size               109.77 GB
>>

>Your volume group (vg0) is about 110GB (I gather the other 10GB of your
>drive is allocated to other partitions).

Well, About 3 gig is other partions, and it appears to me that the other
7G is lost to making the raid device and various overheads (though that
sure seems excessive).

>>Alloc PE / Size       109 / 436 MB
>>

>You've used up (allocated) 436MB of the volume group
>

>>Free  PE / Size       27993 / 109.35 GB
>>

>You have still almost 110GB free (since you allocated only 436MB)
>

>>lvscan -- ACTIVE            "/dev/vg0/data" [436 MB]
>>

>Your data partition is the only LV and that is using the 436MB used in
>vg0.
>

>>/dev/vg0/data           446444    444448      1996 100% /data
>>

>Your filesystem on /dev/vg0/data is using the entire 436MB of the
>partition. And its full.

The odd thing is that I'm sure I created the LV at a full 100% of the
disk...

>What you need to do now is extend your logical volume to allocate more
>space to it. Then resize the filesystem. If you have an ext2/ext3
>filesystem, you use "e2fsadm --size ...". If you have xfs, you use
>"xfs_growfs ...". I dont know about other filesystem types.
>
>eg. to add 10G to your data partition (assuming xfs - that's what I use):
># lvextend --size +10G /dev/vg0/data
># xfs_growfs /dev/vg0/data
>
>df(1) should now show a large filesystem with much more space.

I did as you suggested, and used "resize_reiserfs".  It seems better,
but we shall see if it changes on me again...