[linux-lvm] LV recovery

Lawrence Strydom laurie at midafrica.com
Mon Dec 9 06:42:02 UTC 2002

Hi,
My company uses a SuSE email server III solution. The box has 2 IDE
drives, hda with /boot, /, and swap partintions on. The second, hdc, was
placed in a LVG with a LV for /var occupying all availlable space.
While I was away (quick absolution of self) one of the junior guys did
an online update of the software after which the system wouldn't start
again. To make a long story short, I managed to get the system going
again BUT..... /var cannot be mounted.
/etc/fstab points to /dev/system/VAR. Upon inspection, this binary file
turns out to contain nothing but an error message about being unable to
write to /lib/modules/2.4.18-nnnnn/modules.dep. Ooops...
Now my question is this: Is it possible to recover the data from the
/var LV if the /dev/system/VAR file has gone AWOL?
Any pointers to documentation/tools will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lawrence