[linux-lvm] Re: [lvm-devel] [ANNOUNCE] LVM reimplementationre ady for beta testing

Jeff Layton laytonjb at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 1 09:43:02 UTC 2002

"Heinz J . Mauelshagen" wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 03:05:56PM -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > (snip)

> > > Why compete, come on over and help us :-)
> >
> > You guy man!
> >
> > I've worked with Kevin a few months ago on using EVMS
> > to recover a filesystem ontop of LVM when a disk went
> > south and we had no backups
>
> It is quite intersting how many people don't take backups even though
> almost everybody claims to know that backups are crucial and some of them
> know that they are still, even though they might have RAID in place.

I was ordered by my management NOT to make backups or
I would be fired (exact words). So, I didn't. I told everyone
concerned that we HAD to have backups and follow corporate
policy. Everyone said thank you and go away. So I did.

> Well I guess it, but you didn't mention if you had success to recover.
>
> Was it quorum (we are implementing it with LVM2 BTW) which helped and have
> you been lucky that at least a part of your LVs where sitting on other than the
> gone disk? Otherwise you probably had your VG back but no usable data.

Actually, we had partial success and got back most data. Then
on a whim we tried the bad drive again, and BINGO it came back
to life! I tried every trick I know to get that drive back and spoke
with the vendor that agreed I did everything they knew how to
do. Then another admin walked in, popped it back in the case and
and it came back. I had the biggest egg on my face! Oh well, at least
we got the data back.

> > (I know, but I was told by the
> > people in charge that backups were not needed - that's why
> > I left).
>
> Probably a good choice to leave if they don't understand such basics
> and you couldn't convince them.

<vent>

My manager at that time couldn't spell UNIX, doesn't have a college
degree of any type and has never taken a single college course. My lead
admin can only spell "Sun" even though he claims to have a Linux box at
home and is pretty much hated by all UNIX/Linux admins (as well as
most NT admins as well). He is the king of micro managers (and I have
seen plenty of these in the aerospace industry).

Thanks for the venting time and space. I apologize.

</vent>

> > I really like EVMS and can't wait for it to be in 2.5 and
> > then 2.6 (just keep up the patches for 2.4 please :)
>
> EVMS hallelujah on linux-lvm? ;-)

I like EVMS and it's concepts. However, I'm currently using LVM
(I learned LVM on HPUX, so it was trivial to move to LVM on
Linux!). So, I guess you could say that I started with LVM - like it,
use it, depend on it; moving on to EVMS after some experimentation
and testing. I hope the two  merge at some point to avoid
proprietary-isms that seem to be coming.

Plus, I'm interested in the Open Cluster Framework
developments with EVMS. I don't know if these kinds of
things are happening with LVM or not.

Jeff