Re: [linux-lvm] Backup costs (was: LVM reimplementationre)

Yes, but people who think they can backup to harddrives think they can backup to one drive. They think they need gobs of tapes. Sometimes they don't think things thru. They do need gobs of tapes, but in order to get the same redundancy they need gobs of drives. They don't think like that.

I have a several gig at a minimum of stuff I would want backed up personally. I work on a lot of code, and I have a lot of modifications and/or patches to software I would want to keep around. Just be cause it is a home user machine, doesn't mean they don't use disk space.

Most small businesses generally don't do a good job at testing backups and that is the real trick. I have worked at several places that failed to check if backups even work on a regular basis, they just rotate tapes and that is it. Common things overheard when dealing with backups: Labels? What are labels? Which tape is for last Tuesday, I guess I will just have to try them all. Cleaning tape, nobody told me I needed a cleaning tape!

And sometimes it is easier to go out of business then come up with $1,500. You think like an insurance expert. You understand bad things happen, and if you pay a little up front that it will cover the big badass expense later on. Bean counters never see that, they see an unecessary expense because bad things don't happen on a weekly basis. They have other expense they know will happen so they want to spend money on that.

Kirby