[linux-lvm] Can't mke2fs lv

Marc MERLIN marc_lvm at merlins.org
Mon Feb 11 14:25:01 UTC 2002

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:07:01PM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > Unfortunately, that's  not it,  the machine  doens't have  any users,  and I
> > ssh'ed in as root
>
> It could still be that the ssh process inherits the ulimit from its parent.
> The real problem with this bug is that "ulimit -f" returns "unlimited", but
> in fact it is really 2GB.  The user tools think 2GB is unlimited, but the
> kernel thinks 4GB is unlimited.  This assumes you don't have a ulimit set
> at some value less than 2GB.

Well, I didn't set the ulimit, but sure enough, something did.
After upgrading from bash 2.04 to bash 2.05 and from ssh 2.5.x to 3.0.x, I
got:
gargamel:~# ulimit -f
2097151

I  am  not setting  this  in  /etc/security/limits.conf, so  something  else
probably is.

Either way, after
gargamel:~# ulimit -f unlimited
it works like a charm

> I _thought_ that glibc-2.2 was not affected by this problem, but it
> could be that if you have an old shell which uses the old getrlimit
> syscall it will still break your system.

I don't know if  bash 2.05 is considered old or not, but  it's true that the
ulimit could be set by anything along the chain.

I haven't  upgraded e2fsprogs  yet, but  if it tries  to reset  the filesize
limit to unlimited, it would definitely fix the problem I had.

Anyway, it's all working now.

Thanks a lot,
Marc