[linux-lvm] LVM Redhat 7.2 : Volume Group not activated on boot

Theo Van Dinter felicity at kluge.net
Mon Feb 11 19:59:02 UTC 2002

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:49:23AM +0100, Peter Gram wrote:
> # LVM initialization
> if [ -e /proc/lvm -a -x /sbin/vgchange -a -f /etc/lvmtab ]; then
>         action $"Setting up Logical Volume Management:" /sbin/vgscan &&
> /sbin/vgchange -a y
> fi

The problem is the first part of the if statement.  /proc/lvm doesn't exist
unless the lvm-mod module is loaded, and that doesn't happen by default.

On my RH7.2 box, I make initrd's with the "--with=lvm-mod" option so that
initrd forcably loads lvm-mod at bootup.  /proc/lvm then exists, and the
vgchange command is executed.  :)

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"We all know engineers are way better than doctors because doctors can