[linux-lvm] vgcreate looks at devices it shouldn't

jarausch at igpm.rwth-aachen.de jarausch at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Sat Feb 23 06:07:02 UTC 2002

Hi,

on the second machine where I would like to create LVM volumes
I have the following problem

The ZIP drive and the CDROM drive are mapped to
hdd (hdc resp.)  BUT due to a kernel parameter
hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi
these are no more accessible as  /dev/hdd /dev/hdc

Now pvcreate /dev/sdb1 works fine but
vgcreate home /dev/sdb1
produces error messages like
ide-scsi: hdd unsupported command in request queue (0)
and after some such messages
vgcreate -- ERROR "pv_read(): read" reading physical volumes.

AND the desired volume group on my  scsi drive /dev/sdb1
is NOT created.

What can one do about this. How to tell the utilities
to never look at /dev/hd?

I am using lvm-1.0.2

Does this problem vanish with 2.0 ?

Many thanks for a hint,