Re: [linux-lvm] snapshots of busy ext2 file system corrupt

On Tuesday, February 26, 2002 08:28:40 PM +0100 Urs Thuermann <urs isnogud escape de> wrote:

> Chris Mason <mason suse com> writes:
>
>> For ext2, the best we could do would probably be a hack based on
>> locking the super.  As far as I know, nobody is planning on this,
>
> :-(
>
>> especially given how easy it is to go from ext2->ext3.
>
> Some performance tests I made with ext2, ext3, and reiserfs convinced
> me to stay with ext2.  ext3 was significantly slower than ext2 on some
> operations (and reiserfs even worse than that).

You trade speed for safety sometimes, but you can lower the performance
hit by mounting ext3 with -o data=writeback, and help both filesystems
by playing with bdflush values (increment the metadata timeout up from 5
seconds).

Other tuning depends on your app.

-chris