[linux-lvm] Cluster LVM

Joe Thornber joe at fib011235813.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Feb 28 12:01:02 UTC 2002

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 07:06:58AM -0800, Prashant Kharche wrote:
> when node1 issues a command pvmove, LOCK MANAGER will
> block all the nodes from accessing the METADATA for
> that VG and as soon as it finishes updating the
> METADATA, pvmove itself writes the updated kernel VGDA
> on the DISK.. so for this period, METADATA consistency
> is maintained.

This is not enough, you will end up with a trashed system since node2
will still be writing data to the wrong place.  I think you should
consider only doing offline operations.  ie, acquiring the lock should
fail if any other nodes have activated the vg.

If you really insist on doing live operations I suggest you look at
the device-mapper driver (LVM2), which contains the suspend
functionality that you will need.

- Joe