[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

[linux-lvm] LVM problems, possible solution



Hello,

Im sorry if this is already known.

I've been having trouble with LVM on my linux server for quite som time. On
startup I got errors like (not sure, taken from memory) "0x59" and "0x04"
from the IDE harddisks resulting in disabled DMA on startup. Re-enabling DMA
was no problem, but I found it annoying to have to do that every time I
restarted the server.

A couple of days ago I tried to fix the problem. While checking the dmesg
output from the startup I noticed that the Partition check saying that I had
a partition on a couple of my IDE disks (hda: hda1). The strange thing is
that I remade some of the disks that I had created a partition of the whole
disk to use as a LVM device to instead just use the the whole disk (/dev/hda
instead of /dev/hda1). To try things I removed /dev/hda from the
VolumeGroup, created a partition, ran pvcreate /dev/hda1 and added the disk
to the volumegroup and from what I can see it works. Since then I get no
more errors on startup that disables DMA or saying that linux can't find
sectors and such.

Im using the latest Kernel together with a patch made from the latest
relased LVM tarballs.

Suggestion: Make pvcreate reset the partition describing stuff when
createing a new LVM disk if using it on the whole disk.

Hope this helps..

Sorry for any bad english..

Im not subscribed to this list, so please include my adress in any reply you
may write.

Attachment: smime.p7s
Description: S/MIME cryptographic signature


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]