[linux-lvm] lvm snapshot fails

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolabs.com
Wed Jan 9 17:31:15 UTC 2002

On Jan 09, 2002  14:41 -0800, Daniel Sully wrote:
> I'm attempting to create a snapshot volume for a 50GB partition, however
> the lvcreate fails with the following error:
>
> $ lvcreate -L1G -s -n wwwsnap /dev/vg00/www
> lvcreate -- WARNING: the snapshot will be automatically disabled once it gets full
> lvcreate -- INFO: using default snapshot chunk size of 64.00 KB for "/dev/vg00/wwwsnap"
> File size limit exceeded
>
> strace shows it's getting a EFBIG error -

This is a kernel problem, added since 2.4.10, and fixed in 2.4.18-pre1.
You need to log into this system directly as root (no "su" or "sudo")
because it seems you are trying to set a ulimit somewhere, and the
kernel also prevents you from setting a real ulimit with glibc-2.1.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger