[linux-lvm] Re: Unable to get XFS, ext3, reiserfs & LVM to coexist happily

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Fri Jan 11 02:40:02 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 01:21:26AM +1000, Adrian Head wrote:
> The problem now is that when I try to mount a ext3 snapshot using:
> mount /dev/HDA/SNAP /mnt/snapshot
> The kernel mounts the snapshot as ext2.  Is was not happening before the
> patch and I was wondering if anyone thinks this is a problem.  As ext3 is
> backward compatible with ext2 there doesn't seem to be any problems during my
> testing with respect to standard file operations.  I can mount the snapshot
> as ext3 if I use:
> mount -t ext3 /dev/HDA/SNAP /mnt/snapshot
this depends on the order the mount porgram tries to autodetect a filesystem
if the luser does not specify it. I don't have mount sources at hand
but AFAIR it reads /etc/filesystems, /proc/filesystems and then tries
an hardcoded list. you can modify /etc/filesystems to change the probe
order.
[you already got answers to the other issues]

L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
 /"\