[linux-lvm] reiserfs oops at init

I installed SuSE 7.3 on a new disk at the end of December, using LVM and a reiserfs as a root partition.

I've been having problems with the ide controller and this disk, causing many lock-ups.

I put the new disk on the secondary controller (which, lvm shouldn't care that the disk has changed from hdb to hdd), and the DMA/interrupt problems seem to end... and a new problem begins: I can't boot this partition as root. The kernel still boots off /dev/hda1, and the initrd runs, and finds the moved volume without any errors, but "init" immediately oopses (after reporting it's version number) with "invalid operand: 0000"... I'm guessing this is coming from the reiserfs (sorry for asking this question to the lvm group, I don't know a good reiserfs list server).

I can boot with "init=/bin/sh". I've run "reiserfsck" with the "--check" and "--fix*" options... and there are a lot of errors, and it ends saying there are ten errors that can be fixed with "--rebuild-tree" (which I can't run with the disk mounted). the "--rebuild-sb" option trys to run, but immediately aborts.

Booted with "init=/bin/sh", I can remount the file system read/write, and everything looks fine. Given that "init" won't run from the command line (it will run, but only to communicate with the controlling "init") it's hard to figure out why we're oopsing.

Booted with "init=/bin/sh", I can run vgscan. It gives a "modprobe" error about device major number 35(??? that's a midi device), but still says it's writing the /etc/lv* files. But, if I then run lvscan, vgdisplay, etc..., it says the kernel is out of sync with the file systems and I need to rerun vgscan (which doesn't seem to help).

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks,

Chris