[linux-lvm] Re: GRUB + LVM + XFS?

Adrian Head ahead at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jan 15 09:17:01 UTC 2002

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 00:18, Heinz J . Mauelshagen wrote:
> > From my experience it seems that LVM 1.0.1rc4(ish) is way more robust
> > than the updated LVM 1.0.1 or even CVS LVM 1.0.1 yesterday.
>
> Do you have some input which particular changes cause it?
> Thanks.

The issue was that when I tried to create an XFS snapshot it would Oops and
the snapshot creation would not have been completed.  The /dev/vg/lv entries
would not be there; however, vgdisplay would show the snapshot as being in
use but I could not remove the incomplete snapshot.

When I would reboot using a lvm-1.0.1 kernel (2.4.17-xfs+lvm1.0.1) - the
machine would hang during startup; however, if I used a lvm-1.0.1rc4(ish)
kernel (2.4.16-xfs+lvm1.0.1rc4) it would fix the problem on the fly during
bootup and the snapshot would be put in full operation without problems.
This was the only way I found to get the machine up & running again.

I don't have any info on which lines of code might have been the cause.  I'm
still learning how to dig in and dbug.  ;-)

--
Adrian Head

(Public Key available on request.)