[linux-lvm] summary of what I need to do to mount snapshot on XFS

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolabs.com
Tue Jan 15 11:48:02 UTC 2002

On Jan 16, 2002  01:09 +1000, Adrian Head wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 00:16, Heinz J . Mauelshagen wrote:
> > > The lvm.c change you talk about I assume is the LVM_VFS_ENHANCEMENT
> > > change? For some reason when adding the lvm-1.0.1 upgrade patch this
> > > disappears from lvm.c   I have been able to get this to compile with the
> > > change but I have forgoten what I did.
> > >
> > > This is one question I would like answered by the LVM gurus:  should
> > > #define LVM_VFS_ENHANCEMENT still be there after upgrading to lvm-1.0.1?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> I have found that using the generated lvm-1.0.1 upgrade patch that the
> #define LVM_VFS_ENHANCEMENT gets removed.  If all I do is add it back in
> manually - do I need to worry about other areas of the code that also need
> touch-ups?  How would I tell?

Well, when you generate a new LVM patch it will just do a "diff" between
the lvm.c file in the LVM/kernel directory and the linux/md/lvm.c file.
If the VFS-lock patch is applied to the kernel sources and not the
LVM/kernel sources, it will be removed by the diff, meaning you will
need to apply the VFS-lock patch to the kernel again.

If you find you are doing a lot of patching, you could apply the VFS-lock
patch to the LVM/kernel/lvm.c file, and then subsequent patches that you
create will not have this part removed.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger