[linux-lvm] 64K limit for VG/LV

Dieter Stueken stueken at conterra.de
Wed Jan 23 12:59:02 UTC 2002

"Heinz J . Mauelshagen" schrieb:
> that's correct. It is just a per LV limit for the max amount of its
> Logical Extents (LEs).
>
> > Thus as long as each of my LV is <256G I don't have to worry, and
> > the reported "Free PE" might be just cosmetics.
>
> Cosmetics is a nice way to put it :-)
> We probably have missed that one, because for a VG with such a large capacity
> we choosed larger PE sizes.

but I still worry a bit about my data. The reason for the wrong "Free
PE"
reported seems not to be the 64k limit, but the fact that some of my LVs
are reported/counted twice!

-> vgdisplay -v vg0  | fgrep "LV Name"
LV Name                /dev/vg0/root
LV Name                /dev/vg0/win2k
LV Name                /dev/vg0/ortho
LV Name                /dev/vg0/praktikum
LV Name                /dev/vg0/swap
LV Name                /dev/vg0/mirror
LV Name                /dev/vg0/disk_huetti
LV Name                /dev/vg0/SuSE-7.3
LV Name                /dev/vg0/mirror          <<<<<
LV Name                /dev/vg0/disk_huetti     <<<<<

Thus I still fear of some evil inconsistencies for my data.
Is there any tool available like "e2fsck" for LVM to resolve such a
problem?

Dieter.